About 18 months ago a young couple came to me with lots of ideas about their upcoming renovation. They had a very clear vision for their home, which is always such a great place to start. Fast forward months of planning and renovating, I thought I’d share with you how the design process evolved over time.
The initial design brief was to successfully mix the existing portion of their 1920s home with a modern extension. They were after an industrial edge with raw timber, polished concrete floors and exposed brick work on the exterior of the home. They loved the idea of black window frames and black tapware in the kitchen and bathroom.
I loved all their ideas, and the initial concept board came together quite easily. From this we began the process of picking paint colours and flooring, kitchen and bathroom design, fixtures and fittings.
(Here is my very raw, initial design for the ensuite, alongside the finished room)
With the build underway the reality of budget hit home. Some decisions needed to be made to bring the costs down while still delivering a look and feel consistent with the original concept.
To reduce the budget we swapped out polished concrete floors for a porcelain tile, giving a very similar look. Instead of recycled timber floors in the bedrooms and hall, we used new timber boards. Recycled exposed brick on the exterior was cost prohibitive, yet we discovered beautiful exposed brick in the old part of the interior that came up beautifully with a white wash finish.
Things change along the way, renovating a home is a constant juggle between budget and getting the desired end result. All in all both the client and I are really happy with the result.
Leichhardt House exterior ‘before’
Leichhardt house exterior ‘after’
To see more of this home click here.